1. Wet hands first.
2. Use warm water (avoid very hot water to reduce skin irritation).
3. Apply soap and lather up.
4. Rub hands together vigorously and by covering all surfaces (in between fingers, top of hand, wrists) for at least 15 seconds (tip: sing “happy birthday song” twice to yourself).
5. Clean under fingernails, using the soap and water.
6. Rinse hands with warm water.
7. Dry thoroughly with a disposable towel (do not use the patient’s hand towels).
8. Use towel to turn off faucet.
9. Use towel to open door.
10. Throw disposable towel in trash.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2015 Crossroads Hospice. All rights reserved.