Spring Door Sign: Activities for Dementia Patients
Spring is right around the corner. Days will be longer, temperatures will be warmer, and families caring for a loved one with dementia will be able to enjoy some time getting a little exercise and soaking up the sun.
Routine remains important, however, and there’s no place like home. Spring crafts like this easy painted door sign are a wonderful way to celebrate all that is great about spring as you brighten up your space.
Remember to focus on the experience of doing a fun activity with a loved one with dementia and not the end result of the craft. The time you spend together is really all that matters.
Spring Door Sign
What You’ll Need:
- Wooden sign
- Brightly colored acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Use a sponge to give a base coat to your sign.
- Allow the sign to dry before moving onto the next step.
- Paint an uplifting message.
- Add flowers or other fun decoration.
- Hang your sign!
See more activities for dementia patients.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community. Copyright © 2021 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved.