Fall Sign Craft: Activities for Dementia Patients
While the weather may still feel like summer, fall will be here before you know it. Get in the spirit of the season while engaging your loved one with a simple seasonal craft.
Planning activities for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or other dementia doesn’t need to be complicated or expensive. You can create lovely crafts together with simple items from your local craft store.
The fall sign below is a wonderful example of this. Everything you need to decorate the sign can be found in the scrapbook aisle.
Fall Sign Craft
What You’ll Need:
- Wood pallet plaque
- School glue
- Seasonal scrapbook decorations
- Place the items you want to decorate the plaque with on the board so you can space them out.
- Glue decorations that require glue to the board.
- For decorations with adhesive, peel off the tab and affix them to the board.
See more activities for dementia patients.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2021 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved.