Liver Disease Hospice Eligibility Criteria.
Patients are considered to have end-stage liver disease when they meet the following hospice criteria. If your loved one meets the liver disease hospice eligibility requirements, you should consider scheduling a hospice consultation.
Liver disease hospice eligibility criteria:
- Weakness and compromised ability perform activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Recurrent variceal hemorrhage
- Hepatic encephalopathy
- Prothrombin time prolonged more than five seconds over control or INR > 1.5
- Serum Albumin < 2.5 gm/dl
- Elevated creatinine and BUN with Oliguria <400 ml/day and urine sodium concentration <10 mEq/l
- Muscle wasting
- May be awaiting liver transplant, but if organ is procured, the patient is no longer eligible