When a loved one has Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia, it is very easy for them to become confused and forgetful. Many people with Alzheimer’s find it helpful to have reminders around their home to help them with dates, doctor appointments, and other important information.
Just because these reminders are needed, doesn’t mean they can’t be incorporated into your loved one’s interests or home décor.
The chalkboard signs below provide a few useful services. First, they are an engaging craft that allow your loved one the opportunity to express their creativity and personality. Next, using stickers or other decorations with different textures provides tactile stimulation for your loved one. Finally, they can be hung in your home and put into use in a variety of ways. Even if you don’t use them for reminders, they can serve as a nice welcome sign for your loved one’s door.
What You’ll Need:
- Chalkboard signs (available at craft stores)
- Stickers or other embellishments in a variety of textures
- Clear Glue
- Ribbon (optional)
- Lay the chalkboard sign flat on a table.
- Allow your loved one to choose stickers that match their personality.
- Affix the stickers and embellishments to the frame of the sign.
- If needed, add ribbon for easy hanging.
See more activities for dementia patients.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask them to share stories.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2019 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved.