Activities for Dementia Patients: Pinecone Trees
The holidays are a time of celebrating with family and friends. When a loved one has dementia, it is often the first time extended members of the family have spent a good amount of time with them. An easy craft can be a good way for family to engage with your loved one with dementia.
This easy pinecone craft can be done with pinecones from your yard or pinecones you purchase at a local craft store. Tailor the craft to your loved one's abilities. You can use a regular glue as long as you give each step plenty of time to dry. Another option is to have your loved one work on decorating the trees while you use a glue gun to set up the trees.
What You’ll Need:
- Star bead or wooden star
- Add glue to the top of the cork.
- Glue the cork to the base of the pinecones.
- Let set and dry.
- Glue star to the top of the pinecone.
- Let set and dry.
- Display the tree.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear or how they celebrated holidays as a child.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2022 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved