Puffy Paint Window Clings: Activities for Dementia Patients
Winter can be an especially isolating time for individuals with dementia and their primary caregiver. The dangers of ice, snow, and cold limit opportunities for time outside and visits to break up the day. Simple crafts are an excellent way to engage with your loved one while staying safe indoors.
Activities for a loved one with Alzheimer's like the puffy paint window cling below are especially fun because it allows your loved one a way to express themselves. They can create any shape. Use any color. The goal is to have fun, so don't worry about the end result. Window clings are designed to be temporary.
What You’ll Need:
- Puffy paint in a few different colors
- Wax paper
- Tear off a sheet of wax paper.
- Use the puffy paint to draw a shape.
- Repeat until you have all the shapes you want.
- Allow to dry overnight.
- Carefully peel off the shapes and add it to your window.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2021 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved.