Crossroads helps patients and families spend quality time together during the holidays.
The holidays are a time of family, friends, gift giving and gratitude. They can also be a time of stress, increased fatigue and financial burden. Hospice can reduce many of these unwanted issues.
Did you know?
- Hospice provides specialized nursing care to the patient and controls the symptoms associated with a life-limiting illness that can enable the patient to participate in holiday activities and festivities.
- Grief support counselors are available 24 hours a day to offer guidance, emotional support, and at times, just a shoulder to lean on.
- Spiritual support counselors are available to offer spiritual guidance and support during the stressful holiday season.
- Hospice provides, and pays for, medications, equipment and supplies related to the hospice patient’s terminal illness, which reduces financial stress common during the holiday season.
- Hospice aides can assist with personal care such as bathing, dressing, light housekeeping, meal preparation and feedings, which allows the family to focus on holiday preparations. (The hospice aide can also help the patient dress for family get-togethers.)
- Hospice can provide respite care, up to five days, which may allow the family to attend holiday functions and can reduce the time constraints associated with caring for a terminally ill loved one.
When to think about hospice.
- Has a life-threatening disease.
- Has a diminished quality of life.
- Is no longer benefiting from treatment.
- Visits the ER frequently.
- Is very uncomfortable in day-to-day living.
My patient would benefit from:
- Symptom management.
- Pain management.
- Reduced stress.
- Bathing/grooming assistance.
- Emotional and spiritual support.
- Light housekeeping and meal prep.
Benefits of hospice:
- Increases quality of life.
- Emotional/spiritual support extends to family as well.
- Can extend how long a patient lives.
- Can leave the program any time.
Most patients and families who receive hospice care say they wish they had known about it sooner. Our medical directors and hospice team are here to help you determine if your patients qualifies for hospice. Use the green Help Bar to speak with a Crossroads team member now, or use the form below to make a referral.