Snowflake Ornament: Activities for Dementia Patients
Planning activities for a loved one with Alzheimer’s like an easy craft is a both a great way for family to connect with them while involving them in the festivities. As you work together, play holiday songs your loved one enjoys and ask them to share memories of some of their childhood traditions
A craft like this simple popsicle stick snowflake ornament is a fun way to celebrate together. It also makes a nice addition to your tree that you can use to remember them from year to year.
What You’ll Need:
- Four popsicle sticks
- Acrylic paint
- Silver Sharpie
- Small pop poms
- Paint each popsicle stick.
- Let dry.
- Glue the sticks into a snowflake pattern.
- Add silver dots to each stick using the silver sharpie.
- Glue a pom pom to the end of each stick.
- Let dry.
- Once the snowflake has dried completely, turn it over and glue on a ribbon for hanging.
See more activities for dementia patients.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2021 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved.