Magnet Craft: Activities for Dementia Patients
Finding activities to engage a loved one with dementia doesn't have to be a challenge. A simply craft like these magnets can create a fun afternoon where you work together and enjoy each other's company.
When planning a craft for a loved one with Alzheimer's or other dementia, adjust the activity to suit their current skill set. For the magnet craft, some people with dementia will be able to follow and participate in every step. But others may need you to help with trimming the paper.
Don't look for perfection. Your goal is a pleasant activity. So instead of trying to cut out perfect circles of paper that can be hard to place correctly, cut a larger square, attach it to the wooden shape, and then trim as needed.
What You’ll Need:
- Scrapbook paper
- Wood shapes
- Modge Podge
- Magnets (if possible, get the magnets with self-adhesive backing)
- Foam brush
- Cut out a section of scrapbook paper bigger than your shape.
- Use the Modge Podge to attach the paper to the shape.
- Trim the paper to fit the shape.
- Apply second layer of Modge Podge to the top of the paper.
- Allow to dry.
- Attach the magnets to the back of the square.
- Add them to your refridgerator.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2022 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved.