Craft Kits: Activities for Dementia Patients
When you are caring for a loved one with dementia, there can be a lot of challenges juggling their care with the rest of your life. Finding ways to engage with your loved one doesn't need to be one of those challenges.
In fact, you can find simple crafting kits at any dollar store or craft supply store.
When selecting a craft kit for a loved one with dementia, it is important to keep a few things in mind.
First, select a craft that matches their abilities. As your loved one's dementia progresses, it may be harder for them to use tools like scissors or anything requiring fine motor work.
Next, try to find a craft that reflects their interests and style. While your loved one may not be able to manage more intricate crafts, you should still respect what they can do. A craft provides an opportunity for creative expression.
Finally, pick out a matching craft for yourself. This activity is meant to provide a new way for you to engage with your loved one, so get to work alongside your loved one. Focus on your time together and not the finished product.
What You’ll Need:
- Craft kit
- Follow the kit instructions.
See more activities for dementia patients.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2022 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved.