Activities for Dementia Patients: Decorative Pumpkin
Fall is a cozy time with many opportunities to engage in activities with a loved one with dementia.
Crafts like this decorative decoupage pumpkin allow you to spend positive time with your loved one. They are able to express themselves creatively and create a lovely decoration for the fall holidays.
Use a foam pumpkin when making this craft instead of a real one. Then you can keep it for future years. Wrapping paper or nice paper napkins can be selected in any style that appeals to you.
Remember that activities with a loved one with dementia should be focused on an enjoyable time together. Don’t worry about what the final product looks like. Instead, use the time to chat or to listen to quiet music your loved one enjoys as you work together.
What You’ll Need:
- Foam pumpkin
- Wrapping paper or napkins
- Modge Podge
- Foam brush
- Safety scissors
- Cut a hole in the wrapping paper where the stem of the pumpkin pushes through.
- Using the foam brush, paint the pumpkin with Modge Podge.
- Begin to apply the wrapping paper or napkins.
- If using wrapping paper, cut slits in the paper or cut and apply the paper in strips.
- Keep applying strokes of Modge Podge to seal the paper to the pumpkin.
- Allow to dry before displaying it in your home.
See more activities for dementia patients.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2022 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved