Activities for Dementia Patients: Design Your Own Mugs
Winter can be an especially tough time when caring for a loved one with dementia. The cold temperatures and outdoor hazards often mean staying inside. The short, dark days can increase sundowning, leading to late afternoon and evening confusion. All of which adds up to a lot of boredom and frustration. Crafts can break through that wall by adding some fun to the day.
One easy craft is designing your own mugs. With just some paint pens and a white mug, you have an activity to do with your loved one with dementia that allows them to express themselves. They can personalize their mug with their own design and even add their name. These mugs can also be a lovely gift to friends and family.
What You’ll Need:
- White stoneware mug (make it sure it's oven-proof stoneware)
- Porcelain paint pens
- Shake all your paint pens to get the paint flowing.
- Tap the pens on a piece of scrap paper until they can write smoothly.
- Decorate the mug.
- Once you are happy with your design, let the paint dry for several hours.
- Bake your mug at 400F for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn off the oven and let the mug remain in the oven as it cools for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the mug and enjoy!
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear or how they celebrated holidays as a child.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2023 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved