Crossroads Heartlink: Hospice care for patients with end-stage cardiac disease.
Heartlink is a hospice treatment program designed to meet the unique needs of patients with end-stage cardiac disease. The course of heart disease is often unpredictable. Managing symptoms can be difficult – as can the recognition of terminality. To provide patients with a sense of clarity, Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care has developed a unique hospice program around cardiovascular issues.
Facts about heart failure and palliative care.
The following facts demonstrate how heart diseases such as congestive heart failure affects many patients in the United States:
- Each year more than 1 million people are admitted to inpatient settings for heart failure*
- Heart failure affects about 5 million people in the United States. Patients often have comorbidities of COPD, diabetes, dementia, renal failure, and hypertension**
- 1 in 4 Medicare heart failure patients are readmitted to the hospital within 30 days, costing $17.4 Billion a year**
*Jencks, Williams, & Coleman, 2009 **CDC 2006
The goals of Crossroads Hospice’s cardiac disease program.
- Reduce emergency department visits and hospital readmissions
- Excellent management of congestive heart failure symptoms in a long-term care facility or at home
- Increase patient and family understanding of the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis
- Improve not just symptom management but also quality of life in the patient’s setting of choice
Our hospice services for heart disease.
Crossroads offers several hospice care services for heart diseases like congestive heart failure:
- Aggressive symptom management and care for heart failure at home rather than in the emergency room or hospital
- Cardiac medications available in the home, including diuretics and inotropes
- Physician and nurse practitioner staff available around the clock
- Continuous care for crisis management, as needed
- Trained staff specializing in the care of patients with cardiac disease
- 3 shifts of full-time Crossroads staff to meet patient and family needs up to and including the time of death
- Interdisciplinary team support treating physical, emotional, and spiritual needs
- Collaboration between Crossroads and the patient’s primary care physician
- Bereavement support offered by specialists trained in grief recovery
Contact us today to learn more about our hospice care program for end-stage cardiac disease.