Pot of Gold Craft: Activities for Dementia Patients
Simple crafts are a wonderful way to connect with a loved one with dementia. Timing your crafts to the holidays can help them to stay oriented with the seasons and bring some festivity to your home.
This pot of gold craft is exactly the kind of easy craft that allows your loved one to feel a sense of accomplishment and fun. Work together with your loved one, dividing up the tasks based on your loved one's abilities.
It's not meant to look perfect at the end. The goal isn't an award-winning craft. The goal is spending pleasant quality time together. Use the time to play music your loved one enjoys softly in the background. You can also ask your loved one questions about how they celebrated the holiday in their youth and what their favorite memories are from growing up.
When the craft is finished, fill it with everyone's favorite butterscotch candies for a real pot of gold!
What You’ll Need:
- Small terra cotta pot
- Green paint
- Gold paint
- Paint brushes
- Two small dishes to hold each paint color
- Small shamrocks (cut your own or buy them at a craft or dollar store)
- Paint the main part of the terra cotta pot green.
- Paint the rim o the terra cotta pot gold.
- Let dry.
- Glue shamrocks to the pot to decorate it.
- Let dry.
- Fill with gold-wrapped candies.
- While doing activities with a loved one with dementia, engage them in conversation. Play music they enjoy softly in the background to create a positive mood.
- Even though your loved one may not remember names or things that happened in recent days, they may still remember their childhood. Ask about favorite colors or clothing they used to wear.
- Activities for people with dementia have the best chance of success early in the day when your loved one is well rested. If they don’t want to participate or get frustrated, don’t force it. Try again another time.
- Remember that the goal is to have an engaging activity with your loved one with dementia. Don’t worry about the end result.
Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support patients with dementia and their families. Please call us at 1-888-564-3405 to learn more about how our unique care programs help provide a higher quality of life for dementia patients while helping caregivers avoid burnout.
If you found this information helpful, please share it with your network and community.
Copyright © 2022 Crossroads Hospice & Palliative Care. All rights reserved.